Energy Division Background
Founded in 1999, Q&S Engineering (Q&S) is a certified small business (CPUC, DBE, MBE, and SDB) that provides innovative solutions for earth and ocean environments. Q&S is well-grounded in the present and clearly focused on the future. In the United States, it estimated that half of the greenhouse gases are created by generating electricity. Through innovation and adaptation, Q&S can provide the services that are essential for decreasing energy consumption in a cost effective manner that benefits our client’s bottom line, while being responsible stewards of our natural environment.
The Q&S Energy Division (QSED) was created to provide communities with energy efficiency outreach programs, energy conservation solutions, energy audits, and alternative power generation feasibility studies. Q&S engineers and environmental scientists can support energy generation projects onshore and offshore worldwide. Q&S has completed over 300 projects in Latin America and has worked closely with private industry, government agencies, and NGOs promoting energy and resource conservation.
QSED is focused on generating environmental sustainability by bringing our clients up to date on the latest practices and technologies while lowering our client's energy related costs. Q&S senior staff have advance degrees and can help you comply with the requirements of California's AB 1103- Nonresidential Building Energy Use Disclosure Program. QSED bilingual staff includes United States Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) accredited professionals that can help you obtain LEED green building certification and provide sustainable, healthy working environments for your employees. LEED certified buildings are designed to minimize detrimental impacts on our natural environment as well as human health.
Energy Efficiency Outreach Programs
QSED clearly understands the importance of public outreach and education to enhance the knowledge of energy efficiency and conservation through permanent peak demand reductions. QSED has partnered with NLRC at Cal State University San Marcos, in order to insure that our bilingual (Spanish and English) energy efficiency outreach programs are culturally and linguistically appropriate for hard to reach, and underserved communities.
LEED, or Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, is transforming the way we think about how our buildings and communities are designed, constructed, maintained and operated across the globe. Comprehensive and flexible, LEED is a green building tool that addresses the entire building lifecycle recognizing best-in-class building strategies.
At its core, LEED is a program that provides third-party verification of green buildings. Building projects satisfy prerequisites and earn points to achieve different levels of certification. Prerequisites and credits differ for each rating system, and teams choose the best fit for the project.
LEED focuses on healthy buildings that save energy, conserve water, and improve indoor air quality. LEED projects represent innovation through environmentally responsible practices that equally benefit the pocketbook as well as the planet. Q&S can conduct LEED projects throughout North America, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.
California's AB 1103
California's AB 1103- Nonresidential Building Energy Use Disclosure Program
Beginning in 2014, Commercial Real Estate transactions of nonresidential buildings with 10,000 ft² or greater require an energy audit (or assessment). Eventually, all commercial buildings of all sizes will require an energy audit that must be presented prior to the escrow process. An energy audit will also be required for Leases to a single tenant.
The energy audits focus, in part, on Energy Usage Intensity (EUI). EUI is expressed as energy per square foot per year. California is the first State in the Nation to implement this type of program. Q&S certified assessors can help you comply with AB-1103 and help lower your energy cost. Q&S can help located sources of funding to pay for the audits.
Financing your project
Q&S Engineering can offer assistance for financing your project:
• Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Program- This is a financing program that is available for property owners to make sustainable energy project loans to eligible property loans.
• Facilitate the incentives and rebates for potential projects
Standardized Protocols and Due Diligence
Q&S Engineering utilizes standardized protocols for our due diligence reports related to your real estate transactions:
- • US Environmental Protection Agency's Energy Star Benchmarking. This serves as a baseline for a building's energy consumption and energy efficiency needs,
- • American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) has audit/assessment templates that utilize their "Performance Measurement Protocols for Commercial Buildings,"
- • ASHREA Energy Audits Level 1 and 2,
- • ASTM E2797- Standard Practice for Building Energy Performance Assessment for a Building Involved in a Real Estate Transaction,
- • ASTM E1527 - 05 Standard Practice for Environmental Site Assessments: Phase I Environmental Site Assessment Process,
- • ASTM E1528 - 06 Standard Practice for Limited Environmental Due Diligence: Transaction Screen Process.
Why select Q&S Engineering?
Q&S is dedicated to Quality & Service regardless of the size and location of your project. Our definition of Quality is deliverables that meet or exceed expectations. Our definition of Service are deliverables that are provided to you on schedule, safely, and within the agreed upon budget. Q&S provides the added value / resources of a large firm, and flexibility / cost effectiveness of a small business.
There are many reasons to consider Q&S Engineering for your upcoming energy conservation and LEED projects in the USA or Latin America
• Experience staff…...most bilingual with advance degrees
• Seasoned managers with USGBC LEED accreditation
• Multidisciplinary support services such as environmental due diligence ( Phase I and II ESAs), hazardous waste management, water resource management, and marine studies
• >Bilingual LEED and energy auditing professionals…..Q&S has completed over 300 projects completed in Latin America.
• Knowledge of local, state and federal energy regulations and energy audit protocols including US EPA Energy Star Benchmarking, ASHRE Energy Audits Level 1 and 2, ASTM E2797 E1527 and 1528, etc.
• Sources of funding …..grants, rebates, programs to help pay for your project
• Excellent references…proven track record since 1999
• Small Business Certification…California Public Utility Commission DBE, State of CA MBE / DBE, and federal SDB certification, and Commitment to Quality and Service (Q&S)!